Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated
The Brian Head Wildfire started June 17, 2017 on the northeast side of the town of Brian Head. The fire was first reported at 12:20 PM and is believed to be human caused and is currently under investigation. The fire size is estimated at 350 acres and threatens the town of Brian Head of Approximately 500 residents and visitors have evacuated. The town of Brian Head, iron County, Dixie National Forest and BLM lands are threatened. The fire has currently closed Highway 143 and is fueled by heavy timber.
Fire Crews/Resources: Multiple engines from local state and federal agencies are on scene.Multiple air tankers and helicopters are on scene. Multiple air tankers and helicopters are on scene. A Type III Incident Management Team has been ordered and will arrive this evening. A Type II Incident Management Team will arrive mid-day tomorrow.
Updated: June 18, 8 AM
Brian Head fire is 0% Contained. Highway 143 is closed at second left hand canyon road to the junction of Highway 148 near Cedar Breaks National Monument.
Currently 1 home destroyed and 1 home damaged. Multiple structures and the Parowan Valley water-shed are threatened.
Roughly 957 acres following last nights GPS flight
Brian Head Announcement: Marshals will escort people back into town FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES ONLY (that means to retrieve medication and this sort of thing, not to retrieve personal items or to evaluate damage). You can call dispatch for details at 435-677-2043 or you can go to the roadblocks at the mouth of Parowan Canyon or at the intersection of Hwy 143 and Hwy 148 near Cedar Breaks Monument. Again, anybody that doesn’t have a significant emergency need will be turned away. Depending on fire activity as the day progresses, these escorts may be discontinued.
Updated: June 18, 8 PM
Fire location: Northeast side of the town of Brian Head. Color Country Type 3 Interagency incident Management team. “The Great Basin Type 2 Interagency Management team, Incident Commander Tim Rodeo will assume command of the Brian head Fire at 0600 on June 19, 2017. The fire is still reported at 957 acres with 0 % contained. Highway 143 is closed at the base of Parowan Canyon to the junction of highway 148 near Cedar Breaks National Monument. The Forest service has issued road and trail closures. The following trails and road under the closure order area: Marathon Trial 3224 from Forest Road 048 (Sidney Valley), Sidney Peaks Trail 3210, Mace’s Run Trail 3219, Dark Hollow Trail 3232, and Hendricks Lake Trail 3249. Forest Road 047 (Brian Head Peak Road).
1 Home Destroyed, 1 home Damaged. Multiple structures and the Parowan Valley watershed is threatened. Color Country Type 3 Management team, multiple engines, air tankers and helicopters are on scene. Approximately 364 personnel are assigned to the fire. Brain Head town is still under evacuation.
The Duck Creek Village had clear skies as all areas near Duck Creek Village were not affected by the fire. The smoke from the fire stayed mostly to the North and East of Duck Creek Village today. State Route 14 from Cedar City to State Route 89 remained open. State Route 148 was open to Cedar Breaks National Monument. State Route 143 remains closed through the town Brian Head but open East towards Panguitch Lake.
We urge everyone traveling through this area to be aware of changing weather and road conditions. We will give updates as they become available.
Photo: Teena Cowan of Cedar City
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes.
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit