Bundy Selected as High School Baseball 2A MVP
This year’s high school baseball MVPs include, from left: 5A, American Fork’s Mick Madsen; 4A, Timpanogos’ Tyler Cornish; 3A, Pine View’s Dakota Donovan; and 2A, Enterprise’s Kayson Bundy. – photos by Chris Samuels, Robert Hoppie, and Robert Randall.
2A MVP Kayson Bundy of Enterprise
When Kayson Bundy was a seventh-grader, he was a bat boy for the Enterprise baseball team that went on to win the state title in 2011. He already loved baseball, but that experience resonated with him.
Four years later as a junior in the 2A championship, Bundy was standing on second base as the potential tying run when Manti got the third out against Enterprise to clinch the title.
“That stuck with him for a year, and he was going to do everything in his power to make sure that didn’t happen again,” said Kyle Bundy, Enterprise’s coach and his father.
During this year’s state tournament, that meant putting personal achievements aside.
Having already set the state career doubles record earlier in the season, Bundy went into the state tournament knowing he needed two doubles to tie the state single-season doubles record. He didn’t care.
“He changed his swing totally. He went back to a compact hitter and trying to go to base hits. He knew that record was on the line and he didn’t even try for it,” said coach Bundy.
Ironically enough he still recorded two doubles during the two-week state tournament to tie the state record with 21, but lifting the trophy is what mattered most.
He finished his career with 49 doubles, shattering the previous state record of 41 career doubles. He also finished second all time with 143 career hits. His named is etched in the top 10 state record book eight other times in a variety of categories.
The catcher ended this season with a .531 batting average, and was a whopping .684 during the state tournament.
“We always hear of players that had all the talent in the world, but didn’t work to make them better. He was just the opposite. There were better kids that he played ball with early on, but he wanted to be the best, so he dragged me out most of the time to hit. He has always been extremely coachable,” said coach Bundy.
All of that contributed to the father and son sharing another state title.
Read about the other MVPs at Deseret News
Article by James Edward is the Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer. EMAIL:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, July 24th Pioneer Day Activity Schedule - July 23, 2017
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 3 Results - July 22, 2017
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 2 Results - July 21, 2017
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 1 Results - July 20, 2017
- Incredibles 2 Finally Hits Theaters on June 15, 2018 - July 14, 2017
- Las Vegas Parking Charges Continue to Change - July 14, 2017
- Ellis Shadrach Barlow - July 11, 2017
- J Stanford Staheli - July 10, 2017
- Tesla Releases Model 3 Images Early - July 10, 2017
- Spider-man: Homecoming Tops Box Office - July 9, 2017
- Monday, July 24th Pioneer Day Activity Schedule
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 3 Results
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 2 Results
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 1 Results
- Southern Utah Write Out Camp Helps Develop Personal Connections
- Incredibles 2 Finally Hits Theaters on June 15, 2018