Chief Moody Shares Two Simple Ways to Protect Your Home From Fire in the Cold Months
We are deep into the cold winter months and that also means the risk of house fires increase. Half of all home heating fires occur from December – February. Fire Chief, Brenden Moody of Enterprise City reminds us about fire danger in our home. Next to kitchen fires, heating sources in our homes are the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
Cheif Moody said, “I would encourage you to take precautions when using heating sources such as electric blankets, space heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces.”
Two simple commonly overlooked safety steps that can make a difference in case of a fire.
First, check your existing smoke alarms.
Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Check monthly that smoke alarms are working properly by pushing the test button. Replace batteries in smoke alarms every six months and remember to replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
Second, have an escape plan and practice it. When following simple plans lives can be saved.
Planning for fire emergencies is important. Make sure all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and set up a meeting place outside your home in case of a fire. Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year and at different times of the day. Teach all household members to stop, drop, and roll if their clothing should catch on fire.
A small amount of prevention each year can go a long way and make a difference in your life as well as the life of a loved one.
- Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated - June 18, 2017
- Dixie National Forest – Brian Head Fire - June 18, 2017
- Dixie State University receives USHE grant for Concurrent Enrollment math courses - June 17, 2017
- Grass Valley Fire/North Fire Outside Pine Valley - June 10, 2017
- 3 Candidates File For Enterprise Mayor; 3 Candidates for City Council - June 10, 2017
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Used Dragon Cargo Ship in Historic First - June 5, 2017
- Tour New Provo Missionary Training Center Expansion - June 4, 2017
- State High School Rodeo Finals Are In: Miller and Flanigan State Champions - June 4, 2017
- ‘Wonder Woman’ Weekend Hits $100.5M - June 4, 2017
- New St. George Family Search Center Opening - June 4, 2017
- Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated
- Dixie National Forest – Brian Head Fire
- Dixie State University receives USHE grant for Concurrent Enrollment math courses
- Grass Valley Fire/North Fire Outside Pine Valley
- 3 Candidates File For Enterprise Mayor; 3 Candidates for City Council
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Used Dragon Cargo Ship in Historic First