Chief Moody Shares Two Simple Ways to Protect Your Home From Fire in the Cold Months
We are deep into the cold winter months and that also means the risk of house fires increase. Half of all home heating fires occur from December – February. Fire Chief, Brenden Moody of Enterprise City reminds us about fire danger in our home. Next to kitchen fires, heating sources in our homes are the second leading cause of home fire deaths.
Cheif Moody said, “I would encourage you to take precautions when using heating sources such as electric blankets, space heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces.”
Two simple commonly overlooked safety steps that can make a difference in case of a fire.
First, check your existing smoke alarms.
Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms and outside sleeping areas. Check monthly that smoke alarms are working properly by pushing the test button. Replace batteries in smoke alarms every six months and remember to replace smoke alarms every 10 years.
Second, have an escape plan and practice it. When following simple plans lives can be saved.
Planning for fire emergencies is important. Make sure all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and set up a meeting place outside your home in case of a fire. Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year and at different times of the day. Teach all household members to stop, drop, and roll if their clothing should catch on fire.
A small amount of prevention each year can go a long way and make a difference in your life as well as the life of a loved one.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds