Clemson Defeats Bama to Win National Title
Swinney and Watson embrace on the field after victory as media and cameras crowd the duo. Photo: Matthew Emmons, USA TODAY Sports
The rematch could not have been written any better. Alabama and Clemson met for the College Football Playoff national championship on Monday night at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida. Clemson defeated Alabama by scoring on the final drive of the game giving them the edge 35-31. Clemson has not won a national championship title since 1981.
Deshaun Watson threw for 420 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 43 yards and a touchdown. The Senior had 41 passing touchdowns on the year, and 116 for his career. He led his team to a 32-3 record as a Tiger and was named the offensive player of the game.
Key Stats of the game from NCAA
- Clemson improved to 4-13 all-time in the series, snapping a 13-game losing streak to Alabama.
- Tigers head coach Dabo Swinney joined College Football Hall of Famer Bud Wilkinson as the only national champions as both a player and head coach.
- Alabama fell for the first time in 24 games when leading at halftime.
- Tigers wide receiver Hunter Renfrow, who caught 10 passes for 92 yards and two touchdowns, has 10 career receiving touchdowns – including four against Alabama in the last two title games.
- Clemson’s 34-season drought between titles is the longest since Auburn went 57 years, from 1957 to 2010.
- Alabama’s 11 punts are its most-ever under Saban.
- Crimson Tide running back Bo Scarbrough, who ran for 93 yards and two touchdowns before leaving with an injury in the third quarter, registered six rushing touchdowns in his last three games.
- The Tigers improved to 5-0 this season against ranked opponents.
- Watson threw two fourth-quarter touchdowns against an Alabama defense that had allowed just three fourth-quarter passing scores all season.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor