Dixie Forum to close semester with presentation on maritime law
Shadman Bashir will present “Customs and Laws of the Sea” at Dixie State University’s Dixie Forum lecture series on April 25.
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Dixie State University visiting professor Shadman Bashir will bring the university’s lecture series Dixie Forum to conclusion for the 2016-17 academic year by presenting the address “Customs and Laws of the Sea.”
Bashir’s presentation is set to take place at noon on April 25 in the Dunford Auditorium of the Val A. Browning Learning Resource Center on the Dixie State campus. Admission is free, and the public is encouraged to attend.
In his presentation, Bashir will analyze different aspects of maritime law without using legal jargon. Taking an entertaining and insightful approach, Bashir will pose and answer questions such as: Do I have to keep the headlights bright on my nuclear submarine and let the whales sleep? Can I see some colors – are you a pirate? We have a new baby on board, is it a birther anomaly?
A visiting professor of law and international relations at Dixie State, Bashir teaches political science, criminal justice, and business courses. His expertise in law and international affairs include terrorism and conflict as well as international security, unconventional warfare and international human trafficking and slavery. He also serves as an adviser at Brigham Young University Law’s International Center for Law and Religion Studies.
Bashir, who is a native of the Pakistani tribal region, speaks six languages and multiple dialects. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Edwardes College and a degree in English and Islamic law from the University of Peshawar in Peshawar, Pakistan. He then moved to the U.S., where he earned a master’s degree in comparative law from California Western School of Law in San Diego.
Dixie Forum is a weekly lecture series designed to introduce the St. George and Dixie State communities to diverse ideas and personalities while widening their worldviews via a 50-minute presentation. The series will return in August when school resumes for the Fall 2017 semester.
- Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated - June 18, 2017
- Dixie National Forest – Brian Head Fire - June 18, 2017
- Dixie State University receives USHE grant for Concurrent Enrollment math courses - June 17, 2017
- Grass Valley Fire/North Fire Outside Pine Valley - June 10, 2017
- 3 Candidates File For Enterprise Mayor; 3 Candidates for City Council - June 10, 2017
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Used Dragon Cargo Ship in Historic First - June 5, 2017
- Tour New Provo Missionary Training Center Expansion - June 4, 2017
- State High School Rodeo Finals Are In: Miller and Flanigan State Champions - June 4, 2017
- ‘Wonder Woman’ Weekend Hits $100.5M - June 4, 2017
- New St. George Family Search Center Opening - June 4, 2017
- Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated
- Dixie National Forest – Brian Head Fire
- Dixie State University receives USHE grant for Concurrent Enrollment math courses
- Grass Valley Fire/North Fire Outside Pine Valley
- 3 Candidates File For Enterprise Mayor; 3 Candidates for City Council
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Used Dragon Cargo Ship in Historic First