Dixie Forum to close semester with presentation on maritime law
Shadman Bashir will present “Customs and Laws of the Sea” at Dixie State University’s Dixie Forum lecture series on April 25.
ST. GEORGE, Utah — Dixie State University visiting professor Shadman Bashir will bring the university’s lecture series Dixie Forum to conclusion for the 2016-17 academic year by presenting the address “Customs and Laws of the Sea.”
Bashir’s presentation is set to take place at noon on April 25 in the Dunford Auditorium of the Val A. Browning Learning Resource Center on the Dixie State campus. Admission is free, and the public is encouraged to attend.
In his presentation, Bashir will analyze different aspects of maritime law without using legal jargon. Taking an entertaining and insightful approach, Bashir will pose and answer questions such as: Do I have to keep the headlights bright on my nuclear submarine and let the whales sleep? Can I see some colors – are you a pirate? We have a new baby on board, is it a birther anomaly?
A visiting professor of law and international relations at Dixie State, Bashir teaches political science, criminal justice, and business courses. His expertise in law and international affairs include terrorism and conflict as well as international security, unconventional warfare and international human trafficking and slavery. He also serves as an adviser at Brigham Young University Law’s International Center for Law and Religion Studies.
Bashir, who is a native of the Pakistani tribal region, speaks six languages and multiple dialects. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Edwardes College and a degree in English and Islamic law from the University of Peshawar in Peshawar, Pakistan. He then moved to the U.S., where he earned a master’s degree in comparative law from California Western School of Law in San Diego.
Dixie Forum is a weekly lecture series designed to introduce the St. George and Dixie State communities to diverse ideas and personalities while widening their worldviews via a 50-minute presentation. The series will return in August when school resumes for the Fall 2017 semester.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds