Dixie State University Art Department Showcase to feature student, faculty work
The Dixie State University Art Department Showcase will feature the work of the university’s finest students as well as recent pieces done by faculty members when it’s on display April 14 through May 4 in Dixie State’s Sears Art Museum Gallery.
ST GEORGE, Utah — Featuring the work of its finest students as well as recent pieces done by faculty, the Dixie State University Art Department Showcase will be on display in the University’s Sears Art Museum Gallery through the end of the Spring 2017 semester.
The showcase will open with a free artist reception from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on April 14 and continue through May 4. The Art Department Showcase is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in Dixie State’s Eccles Fine Arts Center, 155 S. University Ave.
“This time of year, we all have a wonderful opportunity to view some amazing artwork,” Shane Christensen, chair of the Dixie State Art Department, said. “This showcase exhibit is a glimpse into the best artists Dixie State University has to offer. It is amazing to see how students progress from freshmen to seniors and see their work develop.”
In addition to making stunning art visible to the community, the showcase allows students to practice presenting themselves and their artwork in a professional manner and helps them prepare their portfolios to show to potential employers and graduate programs.
“This year we have many graduates that will be attending graduate schools and moving on with their professional careers,” Christensen said. “The opportunity to view their work for the last time as students is a special one that no one should pass up. I would encourage anyone that is in the St. George area to take some time and visit this amazing exhibit of student and faculty artwork. You will not regret it but be rewarded beyond belief.”
The exhibit also provides DSU art professors the opportunity to show off the work they have accomplished throughout the year. Abraham McCowan is the featured faculty member for this exhibit and his woodblock prints that were inspired by the deserts of the American West and Northern Mexico will be on display in the Eccles Grand Foyer.
DSU’s Art Department offers students a foundation in the visual arts via applied courses in which students receive hands-on experience and lecture courses that teach art history and the elements of design. The university offers bachelor’s degrees in Art with emphases in 3-D/Sculpture/Ceramics, Art Education, Graphic Design, Painting/Drawing, and Photography/Digital Imaging.
For more information about Dixie State University’s Art Department, visitart.dixie.edu. To learn more about the Art Department Showcase, go tosearsart.com or contact Kathy Cieslewicz, Sears Art Museum Gallery curator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 435-652-7909.
- 90TH COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES LIVE: ENTERPRISE HIGH SCHOOL - May 23, 2017
- Amazon Is Hiring 5000 Work-From-Home Employees - May 22, 2017
- 19 dead, 50 injured after reports of explosion at Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena: Police - May 22, 2017
- Zeb Jones Wins 2A Home Run Derby and North Wins 2A All-Star Game - May 22, 2017
- 2,012 rescued on the Mediterranean - May 22, 2017
- Drake Wins Big at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards In Las Vegas - May 22, 2017
- Dixie State University to host open house at Hurricane Education Center - May 21, 2017
- Enterprise High Comes Away Winners at State Track and Field - May 21, 2017
- Pioneer Day Fun Run 2017 Registration is Open - May 18, 2017
- Miss Enterprise Pageant 2017, May 26th - May 18, 2017
- 90TH COMMENCEMENT EXERCISES LIVE: ENTERPRISE HIGH SCHOOL
- Amazon Is Hiring 5000 Work-From-Home Employees
- 19 dead, 50 injured after reports of explosion at Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena: Police
- Zeb Jones Wins 2A Home Run Derby and North Wins 2A All-Star Game
- 2,012 rescued on the Mediterranean
- Drake Wins Big at the 2017 Billboard Music Awards In Las Vegas