Dixie State University Art Department Showcase to feature student, faculty work
The Dixie State University Art Department Showcase will feature the work of the university’s finest students as well as recent pieces done by faculty members when it’s on display April 14 through May 4 in Dixie State’s Sears Art Museum Gallery.
ST GEORGE, Utah — Featuring the work of its finest students as well as recent pieces done by faculty, the Dixie State University Art Department Showcase will be on display in the University’s Sears Art Museum Gallery through the end of the Spring 2017 semester.
The showcase will open with a free artist reception from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on April 14 and continue through May 4. The Art Department Showcase is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in Dixie State’s Eccles Fine Arts Center, 155 S. University Ave.
“This time of year, we all have a wonderful opportunity to view some amazing artwork,” Shane Christensen, chair of the Dixie State Art Department, said. “This showcase exhibit is a glimpse into the best artists Dixie State University has to offer. It is amazing to see how students progress from freshmen to seniors and see their work develop.”
In addition to making stunning art visible to the community, the showcase allows students to practice presenting themselves and their artwork in a professional manner and helps them prepare their portfolios to show to potential employers and graduate programs.
“This year we have many graduates that will be attending graduate schools and moving on with their professional careers,” Christensen said. “The opportunity to view their work for the last time as students is a special one that no one should pass up. I would encourage anyone that is in the St. George area to take some time and visit this amazing exhibit of student and faculty artwork. You will not regret it but be rewarded beyond belief.”
The exhibit also provides DSU art professors the opportunity to show off the work they have accomplished throughout the year. Abraham McCowan is the featured faculty member for this exhibit and his woodblock prints that were inspired by the deserts of the American West and Northern Mexico will be on display in the Eccles Grand Foyer.
DSU’s Art Department offers students a foundation in the visual arts via applied courses in which students receive hands-on experience and lecture courses that teach art history and the elements of design. The university offers bachelor’s degrees in Art with emphases in 3-D/Sculpture/Ceramics, Art Education, Graphic Design, Painting/Drawing, and Photography/Digital Imaging.
For more information about Dixie State University’s Art Department, visitart.dixie.edu. To learn more about the Art Department Showcase, go tosearsart.com or contact Kathy Cieslewicz, Sears Art Museum Gallery curator, at email@example.com or 435-652-7909.
- Monday, July 24th Pioneer Day Activity Schedule - July 23, 2017
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 3 Results - July 22, 2017
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 2 Results - July 21, 2017
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 1 Results - July 20, 2017
- Incredibles 2 Finally Hits Theaters on June 15, 2018 - July 14, 2017
- Las Vegas Parking Charges Continue to Change - July 14, 2017
- Ellis Shadrach Barlow - July 11, 2017
- J Stanford Staheli - July 10, 2017
- Tesla Releases Model 3 Images Early - July 10, 2017
- Spider-man: Homecoming Tops Box Office - July 9, 2017
- Monday, July 24th Pioneer Day Activity Schedule
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 3 Results
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 2 Results
- Enterprise Rodeo Day 1 Results
- Southern Utah Write Out Camp Helps Develop Personal Connections
- Incredibles 2 Finally Hits Theaters on June 15, 2018