Dixie State University Art Department Showcase to feature student, faculty work
The Dixie State University Art Department Showcase will feature the work of the university’s finest students as well as recent pieces done by faculty members when it’s on display April 14 through May 4 in Dixie State’s Sears Art Museum Gallery.
ST GEORGE, Utah — Featuring the work of its finest students as well as recent pieces done by faculty, the Dixie State University Art Department Showcase will be on display in the University’s Sears Art Museum Gallery through the end of the Spring 2017 semester.
The showcase will open with a free artist reception from 7 to 8:30 p.m. on April 14 and continue through May 4. The Art Department Showcase is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday in Dixie State’s Eccles Fine Arts Center, 155 S. University Ave.
“This time of year, we all have a wonderful opportunity to view some amazing artwork,” Shane Christensen, chair of the Dixie State Art Department, said. “This showcase exhibit is a glimpse into the best artists Dixie State University has to offer. It is amazing to see how students progress from freshmen to seniors and see their work develop.”
In addition to making stunning art visible to the community, the showcase allows students to practice presenting themselves and their artwork in a professional manner and helps them prepare their portfolios to show to potential employers and graduate programs.
“This year we have many graduates that will be attending graduate schools and moving on with their professional careers,” Christensen said. “The opportunity to view their work for the last time as students is a special one that no one should pass up. I would encourage anyone that is in the St. George area to take some time and visit this amazing exhibit of student and faculty artwork. You will not regret it but be rewarded beyond belief.”
The exhibit also provides DSU art professors the opportunity to show off the work they have accomplished throughout the year. Abraham McCowan is the featured faculty member for this exhibit and his woodblock prints that were inspired by the deserts of the American West and Northern Mexico will be on display in the Eccles Grand Foyer.
DSU’s Art Department offers students a foundation in the visual arts via applied courses in which students receive hands-on experience and lecture courses that teach art history and the elements of design. The university offers bachelor’s degrees in Art with emphases in 3-D/Sculpture/Ceramics, Art Education, Graphic Design, Painting/Drawing, and Photography/Digital Imaging.
For more information about Dixie State University’s Art Department, visitart.dixie.edu. To learn more about the Art Department Showcase, go tosearsart.com or contact Kathy Cieslewicz, Sears Art Museum Gallery curator, at email@example.com or 435-652-7909.
- THE COLLECTOR’S FORTRESS ARRIVES AT DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE - April 23, 2017
- Enterprise Wolves Win Back-And-Forth Affair Against Parowan - April 23, 2017
- Little Miss Pageant Winners - April 23, 2017
- Dixie State University honors City of St. George, individuals with community engagement awards - April 23, 2017
- Enterprise Jumps Out To Early Lead In Victory Over Parowan - April 21, 2017
- Enterprise Little League Opening Ceremony April 24th - April 19, 2017
- Dixie Forum to close semester with presentation on maritime law - April 19, 2017
- Laub Throws Shutout As Enterprise Wolves SB Varsity Defeats Kanab - April 18, 2017
- New Bicycle to change the Way You Ride “Half Bike” - April 18, 2017
- Enterprise Emergency Preparedness Fair May 6th - April 17, 2017
- THE COLLECTOR’S FORTRESS ARRIVES AT DISNEY CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
- Enterprise Wolves Win Back-And-Forth Affair Against Parowan
- Little Miss Pageant Winners
- Dixie State University honors City of St. George, individuals with community engagement awards
- Enterprise Jumps Out To Early Lead In Victory Over Parowan
- Enterprise Little League Opening Ceremony April 24th