Dixie State University hosts jazz concert to benefit DOVE Center
Photo: Carlyle Potter, a co-organizer of the Young Lions of Jazz benefit concert.
ST. GEORGE, Utah — For one night only, the Dixie State University Music Department will present the Young Lions of Jazz in a benefit concert for the Dove Center.
DSU Music Department Chair Glenn Webb welcomes the entire community to an evening of jazz music on July 11 at 7:30 p.m. in the Dolores Doré Eccles Fine Arts Center Concert Hall on the Dixie State campus. Admission is free but donations will be accepted to support the DOVE Center in its mission to provide safe, caring and confidential shelter, advocacy and support for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
“Our hope is that our community will come together for a great cause and enjoy some fine music,” Webb, co-organizer and percussionist for the event, said. “We’ll have two generations of local jazz musicians on the stage: the young lions with bright futures and the old cats supporting them.”
The concert will showcase three young musicians who are gifted in the jazz genre. They will be backed up by three veteran jazz musicians as they play their favorite jazz tunes from the ’50s and ’60s.
“The term ‘Jazz Young Lions’ comes from recording of jazz newcomers in 1960, all of whom went on to have stellar careers in the hard-bop genre of jazz,” Carlyle Potter, concert co-organizer and bassist, said. “During the ’90s, trumpeter Wynton Marsalis resurrected the term ‘Young Lions’ by introducing young jazz musicians who played the hard-bop style of the ’50s and ’60s.”
The concert’s proceeds will help the DOVE Center offer services 24 hours a day, as it answers questions and concerns about domestic violence and sexual assault and addresses the perplexity that comes with being a victim of crime. DOVE Center services are free of charge and completely confidential.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor