Dixie State University presents singer-songwriter Bernice Lewis in Dixie Forum
Bernice Lewis presents “The Anatomy & Physiology of a Song” at this week’s Dixie Forum. Photo courtesy of Liz Linder
ST GEORGE, Utah, March 29, 2017 — Dixie State University invites students and community members to Dixie Forum, a weekly lecture series, to hear from singer-songwriter Bernice Lewis.
Lewis’ presentation, titled, “The Anatomy & Physiology of a Song,” will be held in the Dunford Auditorium on DSU campus on April 4, from noon to 12:50 p.m., and will delve into song composition and components.
In her presentation, Lewis will deconstruct well-known songs, analyze components, storyline, use of poetic devices, chord structure and melody for the audience in explaining the methods of songwriting. She will also share how contemporary song has evolved historically. Her presentation includes information for musicians, would-be songwriters, and non-musicians alike.
Lewis has spent almost four decades composing and performing music and has developed a national fan base. She was a finalist for the prestigious New Folk Songwriting Contest in 1987 and has shared the stage with many renowned artists. She is also a founding member of The Ladies Auxiliary Ukulele Orchestra.
Aside from her work in songwriting and performing, Lewis is a published poet, producer, and educator. She teaches at Colorado College, Rock On Camp at Berkshire Community College along with a number of schools and retreat centers. She is also known for lecturing at junior and senior high school classrooms on her family’s emigration from Nazi Germany.
Dixie Forum is a weekly lecture series designed to introduce the St. George community and DSU students, faculty and staff to diverse ideas and personalities while widening their worldviews via a 50-minute presentation. Dixie Forum will continue at noon on Tuesday, April 11, in the Dunford Auditorium with a presentation from the American Association of University Women.
- Enterprise City Creates Fireworks Ban - June 24, 2017
- Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated - June 18, 2017
- Dixie National Forest – Brian Head Fire - June 18, 2017
- Dixie State University receives USHE grant for Concurrent Enrollment math courses - June 17, 2017
- Grass Valley Fire/North Fire Outside Pine Valley - June 10, 2017
- 3 Candidates File For Enterprise Mayor; 3 Candidates for City Council - June 10, 2017
- SpaceX Successfully Launches Used Dragon Cargo Ship in Historic First - June 5, 2017
- Tour New Provo Missionary Training Center Expansion - June 4, 2017
- State High School Rodeo Finals Are In: Miller and Flanigan State Champions - June 4, 2017
- ‘Wonder Woman’ Weekend Hits $100.5M - June 4, 2017
- Enterprise Stories – Lost Trap
- Enterprise City Creates Fireworks Ban
- Brian Head Wildfire Facts: Updated
- Dixie National Forest – Brian Head Fire
- Dixie State University receives USHE grant for Concurrent Enrollment math courses
- Grass Valley Fire/North Fire Outside Pine Valley