Dixie State University students provide Thanksgiving dinners for local families
Members of the Dixie State University Student Association deliver all the makings for a Thanksgiving feast to a local family – Photo courtesy of Dixie State University
ST. GEORGE, Utah — With the holiday season underway, the service branch of the Dixie State University Student Association provided Thanksgiving dinners for six local families in need through the association’s Adopt-a-Family program.
DSUSA Vice President of Service Dillon McKinney and his team reached out to local religious leaders and schools for insight on which families in the community may be struggling.
“We wanted to provide for those who may not have been able to have a Thanksgiving dinner otherwise,” McKinney said. “Being able to help someone enjoy the holiday season just a little more is always worth it.”
Food donations including turkeys, canned foods, stuffing, potatoes, rolls and pies were given by various local businesses, such as the Bloomington Walmart, Costco, Lin’s, Kneaders and Great Harvest.
“As college kids, we get kind of selfish because everything we do in this time of our lives is for us, so doing this brings a new perspective to mind,” Rachel Maughan, a junior majoring in dance who assisted in delivering the meals to the families, said. “I love seeing those bright smiles from the children when we bring them something special. It’s humbling to release some pressure from those parents who are trying their hardest.”
For the upcoming Christmas season, the DSUSA service branch will collect donations for the Coins for Kids organization, which provides Christmas for disadvantaged children in Washington County. For more information about future service opportunities or to donate, contact Dillon McKinney at email@example.com.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor