Dixie State University’s Kern named EMS Instructor of the Year
ST. GEORGE, Utah, July 22, 2016 — Garnering statewide accolades, Dixie State University’s Josh Kern was recently named the EMS Instructor of the Year. Kern, an instructor and clinical coordinator for DSU’s Emergency Medical Services Program, was honored with the recognition by the Utah Department of Health, Bureau of Emergency Medical Service & Preparedness on Wednesday at the Utah EMS Awards Ceremony in West Jordon. The ceremony honored individuals who are exceptional examples in the field of emergency medical services.
“This is a well deserved honor for Josh,” Shanna Alger, director of DSU’s EMS Program, said. “I am so lucky to have such a high-caliber instructor on my team. His extensive experience and knowledge base are strong assets to our students and our program.”
Kern started his career in law enforcement in Atlanta, Ga., before moving to Salt Lake County and becoming a firefighter. In 2006, Kern came to southern Utah, working for Iron County Emergency Management and then Hurricane City Fire Department. He began teaching at Dixie State, but then served for the State Department in Iraq for one year and Afghanistan for another. Upon his return, Kern continued teaching and has since tirelessly contributed to DSU’s EMS Program.
“I got into teaching and just fell in love with it,” Kern said. “I love seeing the light come on in students’ eyes when they come to understand a complicated concept.”
In speaking about receiving the award, Kern said he’s not one who typically enjoys the limelight, but appreciates being recognized by his peers for his work.
“One of the things we always try to do in our profession is improve the quality of the next generation coming up,” Kern said. “I want them to be better prepared when they graduate from our program than I was when I graduated.”
To learn more about Dixie State University’s Emergency Medical Services Program, please visithealth.dixie.edu/ems.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor