Enterprise High Takes 2nd in the 2A State Championship
Enterprise High School Volleyball starts their season out at the Skyline tournament every year. This year they struggled and came back with a list of things to work on. I sat down and talked to the 3 seniors, Jessica Farnsworth, Maddison Laub and Shae Gardner. They told me of their struggles, the things they did well as a team, but at the end, they each said our goal is to win the state championship.
These seniors hoped to go far, but inside they felt like many in the community that this would be a short season. But as the young team worked together lead by these three seniors, they began to build confidence. The team continued to win tough games, and kept their sites set on their championship goal. Jessica Farnsworth said “Our biggest competition is Delta, they also have our version of a Riley Lyman in senior outside hitter Sydney Springer.” Riley Lyman helped Enterprise to their 2nd 2A title last year and crushed the Delta Rabbits dreams with a 3-1 victory.
Delta was determined to take this 2A championship home. They had six seniors returning with a handful of experienced players. Delta swept their first 3 matches in Wasatch Academy, Maeser Prep Academy, and South Sevier. Delta was undefeated in regular season play and only lost to larger classifications. Very similar was North Summit from Region 15 as they were also undefeated in regular season and swept their first two matches with San Juan and Kanab. North Summit came in flat against Enterprise and the Wolves took advantage. North Summit turned their game around and didn’t go away quietly. Enterprise Wolves in the end pulled out the win against North Summit Braves in 5 games. It took hard work with a dedicated fan support that gave the Wolves the advantage.
Enterprise had the largest fan base that made the long trip to UVU (Utah Valley University). Stacie Shurtliff and her husband Coach Larry B Shurtliff of the Enterprise Boys Basketball team made the trip and Stacie said “win or lose the support of the school and community is unbelievable. We look like we are the biggest school here”. The boys football team also made the stop at the volleyball game after ending their post season to South Summit in Kamas Utah.
Enterprise had all the momentum going into the Championship game against Delta. During the regular season the Delta Rabbits swept the Wolves in both meetings and that played a factor for the final match up. Enterprise played strong the first two sets 25-21, 25-23 and gave Delta a good scare. In the third set Enterprise got the win 25-22 and put the pressure on but Delta had worked all year with a chance to redeem their loss last year and nothing was going to get in their way. Delta pulled away in the end with a 25-12 win and took the 2A State Championship title.
North Summit finished third, South Sevier Fourth, Kanab finished fifth, San Juan was sixth and Emery finished in seventh place.
Notable: Maddison Laub and Shae Gardner were named Academic All State
Post Season Game Tracker:
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor