First 90 Kangaroos released in Wyoming
Our favorite prank from April Fools Day came from Wyoming Migration Initiative and County 10 News from Wyoming. They released a story about Antilopine Kangaroos being released in Wyoming and the people went nuts.
Thomas Owens “This is the stupidest idea I’ve heard of in my 35 year career as a wildlife biologist. The introduction of exotics has nearly always wreaked havoc with native ecosystems! Have we learned nothing from past mistakes?”
Gerry Small “I thought you idiots were concerned about overgrazing. Have you ever been to the interior of Australia? Stop playing God. There are unforseen consequences. Tell Trump and his idiot sons to go to Australia to hunt Kangaroo. Anyone who agrees with the ding bats who are screwing with the land this way should pack up and leave as well.”
Rich Linke “It seems like a bad idea to introduce non native species here. When the wolf was eliminated from Yellowstone it had dire consequences.”
Hundreds of comments poured in and either County 10 News was building a creative marketing campaign or they lost all their follows with this news.
Dubbed “Project Sage Hopper” by the WWGD team responsible for evaluating the viability of Wyoming’s habitat for Australian marsupials, it has been in the planning stages for 3 years. The goal is two-fold: Create new and interesting wildlife viewing opportunities for tourists, and in several years, potentially provide additional hunting opportunities.”
It was such a controversy to the people that the Wyoming Migration Initiative released a statement on their facebook page. “Yesterday the folks over at County10.com developed and ran an APRIL FOOLS’ joke about kangaroos being introduced into Wyoming. And we played along. Kangaroos were NOT introduced into Wyoming yesterday, nor should they ever be. Many of you were shocked to hear of this development and warned of the ecological consequences of adding an exotic mammal (especially a prolific one) to Wyoming’s native fauna. We appreciate your outrage. Indeed, there is a well-documented record of the detrimental effects that the introduction of species like Norwegian rats, the brown tree snake, European starlings, and wild pigs (just to name a few) have had on native ecosystems.”
Sometimes it is best to leave your pranks at home.
Photos courtesy of Wyoming Migration Initiative
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes.
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit