George Stanford Holt
In Loving Memory – George Stanford Holt, 90, passed away on May 31, 2017. Stan was born on August 25, 1926 to Heber Martin Holt and Erma Elizabeth Woods. He was preceded in death by his siblings, Elaine (Dick Jones), Heber Wayne Holt (Marilyn Snow), Phyllis (Gene Nelson) and McVoy (Banard Hafen).
He served his country in the military as a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Unit. After returning home, he enrolled in Dixie College, lettering in football, basketball and track. While at Dixie College he met and married his lifelong love, Jeannine.
Stan attended College of Southern Utah (now SUU) and received a BS degree through Utah State University in Elementary Education. While teaching, he immediately began working on a secondary composite degree in English and Science at Brigham Young University, receiving a Master of Arts degree in 1965.
At Enterprise High School, Stan taught English, Science, Health and coached athletics, both boys and girls. During his fifteen years in girls sports, his teams won eight region titles and three state championships in basketball. In volleyball, his teams garnered seven regional titles and three state championships. In boys sports, his cross-country track team won two state championships in combined classifications of 1,2 and 3A. His boys basketball teams won two regional titles. In 1990, he was honored as class 1A “Coach of the Year” by the Utah High School Athletic Association.
During Stan’s teaching career, quality education was his prime goal. His students participated annually in many county and regional science fairs, winning many awards. The Utah Science Teachers Foundation named him Outstanding Science Teacher. Stan also received the Superintendent’s commendation for Excellence in Education.
Being baptized in and raised a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints he served in many capacities. Most recently he was a Temple Ordinance worker. He often said he so enjoyed the peaceful experiences he felt there.
Stan is survived by his sweetheart of 68 years, Jeannine Harris Holt, son Steven (Sherry), daughter Patrice (Lane), and son Jeff (Barbara), and his grandchildren.
For all who knew him, we’ll miss hearing him say, “you won’t believe how well I’m doing”. For the past number of years, he has been sustained by his motto, “patiently endure the discomforts – pain is inevitable, MISERY is optional”.
Services for this truly outstanding man, who touched so many lives, will be held on Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM in the ward chapel located on 80 Center Street in Enterprise, Utah. A viewing will be held from 5:00 PM to 7:00 PM Friday, June 9, 2017 at the Spilsbury Mortuary (110 South Bluff Street, St. George, Utah), and prior to services Saturday from 10:00-10:45 a.m. at the church. Interment will take place at the Holt Family Cemetery, near Enterprise, immediately following the services.
A heartfelt thanks to all the wonderful care providers who have given so much time, attention and love to our Stan throughout the years; especially Carlos Torres for easing his burden. In lieu of flowers, donations can be sent to the G. Stanford and Jeannine Harris Holt scholarship fund at Dixie State University, Attention: Scholarship office 225 South University Avenue, St. George, Utah 84770.
Arrangements are made under the direction of Spilsbury Mortuary, 435-673-2454. Friends and family are invited to sign his online guestbook at www.spilsburymortuary.com.
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds