Sorry Haters, But You Can’t Stop Flossing Your Teeth Just Yet
The news made the rounds Tuesday, causing nothing short of a media uproar. Everyone from the Department of Health and Human Services to the American Dental Association has recommended daily flossing to prevent plaque buildup, gum disease and cavities, but according to the AP, these claims have been based on research with major flaws, such as outdated testing methods and all-too-brief study lengths.
But dental professionals say it’s not quite time to ditch the floss. A lack of good research doesn’t prove something is ineffective ― just that it hasn’t been a priority for research funding.
What the AP investigation found
When the AP requested evidence to support flossing from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the agencies were unable to provide data. What’s more, in the agencies’ updated national dietary guidelines, flossing had been quietly removed.
In a letter to the AP, the government acknowledged that the benefits of flossing had not been researched properly.
The AP report looked at five analyses of 25 studies in total that compare the use of a toothbrush with the combined use of a toothbrush and floss. The reviews found that evidence supporting the health benefits of flossing is “very unreliable” and of “very low” quality. Other studies cited by the American Dental Association and American Academy of Periodontology as proof of the benefits of flossing used outdated testing methods, lasted for too short a time, or studied too few people to be deemed reliable.
“If you use your toothbrush with floss, it’s not more effective than tooth brushing alone,” said Fridus Van Der Weijden, a University of Amsterdam dental school professor who focuses on the prevention of periodontal infections and co-authored two of the five reviews of flossing research, in the video above…
Read More at the Huffington Post
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds