SUU Football: Thunderbirds Fall in Nail Bitter to Aggies
Logan, Utah – Southern Utah University traveled to Logan to take on the Utah State Aggies on September 5th, 2015. The Aggies are coming off a successful 2014 season going 10-4 with big wins against BYU, Air Force and UTEP. The last time these two teams met in 2012 the Aggies shut down the Thunderbirds 34-3.
The Thunderbirds were off to a great start with a 27 yard pass from quarterback Ammon Olsen to Mike Sharp. A blocked PAT return from the Aggies and a field goal shortly after from Kicker Brock Warren brought the Aggies within one, 6-5 in the first quarter.
The game was a defensive battle with a combined 15 punts from both teams in the first half. The Thunderbirds did come to play and ended the 2nd half with a field goal on 4th and 12 giving SUU the lead 9-5.
No points were scored in the third quarter, and every single possession during the quarter ended in a punt.
The Aggies were not done yet, with just under five minutes left in the fourth quarter, Andrew Rodriguez returned an SUU punt for 88 yards to give the Aggies a 12–9 lead. SUU had a chance to take the game on their final drive, but after the pass fell incomplete on 4th and 9 the Aggies ran out the time.
SUU defensive end James Cowser said “their defense played phenomenal, their offense kept rolling when they had to roll and their special teams got it done. Unfortunately, you’ve got to play the game for the full 48 minutes, but there’s a lot we can learn from, a lot we can take pride in and get better.”
SUU Top Player Performers:
Ammon Olsen – 17 of 34 passing for 111 yards, 1 touchdown
Jarom Healey – Running back (top rusher) 12 Carries for 38 yards
Mike Sharp – Wide Receiver (Dixie High School), 40 receiving yards with 4 catches
Justin Brown -Wide Receiver, 38 yards with 5 catches
Mike Needham – Linebacker (top tackler), 10 tackles
Matt Holley – Outside Line Backer, 8 Tackles
James Cowser – Defensive End, 7 Tackles
Josh Thorton – Defensive Back, interception
Next up for the Thunderbirds is South Dakota State. Kickoff next Saturday in South Dakota is scheduled for 5 p.m.
Season tickets can be purchased now at tbirdtickets.com.
2015 SUU Football Schedule
|September 5||At Utah State|
|September 12||At South Dakota State|
|September 19||Northern Colorado|
|September 26||Brevard College|
|October 2 (Fri)||At Weber State|
|October 17||Sacramento State|
|October 24||At UC Davis|
|October 31||Cal Poly|
|November 7||At Montana State|
|November 14||At Portland State|
|November 21||Northern Arizona|
Photo courtesy of SUU Media Relations. For more visit www.suutbirds.com
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor