SUU Hosts Global Youth Camps
Cedar City, Utah —This summer, Southern Utah University is hosting 16 students from Korea who attend the Gongju National University of Education. These students in collaboration with SUU students and staff are running free summer camps to help Cedar City youth, ages 8 – 15, discover how education speaks across cultures and describes the world around us.
“Small towns don’t have the same luxury of larger cities to be exposed to many different cultures,” said Johnny Oh, SUU director of global collaboration. “These camps provide a chance for local children to learn how to work with someone different than them. It opens their minds to new possibilities and is a valuable lesson to both the Cedar City and Korean students.”
The camps include workshops on math, science, art and physical fitness. The first camp was held July 5 – July 15 and had 40 local students participating from many surrounding schools including South Elementary, Iron Springs and East Elementary.
Cason Blodgett, a local fourth grader from Iron Springs Elementary School, said he was surprised to find out Koreans like many of the same things he does, like Pokémon, even though they’re from the other side of the world.
Monica, a student from Kongju National University of Education, explained that Korean classes are lecture-based and have little class participation.
“I was really impressed by how many children participate in class,” said Monica. “When I become a teacher in Korea, I want to encourage my students to actively engage in class so they can be more involved in the lesson.”
By: Abigail Wyatt -Photos from SUU
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor