SUU Welcomes the Tour of Utah
CEDAR CITY, Utah — Southern Utah University and Cedar City welcomes Stage 1 of the 2016 Larry H. Miller Tour of Utah on Monday, August 1. The Tour of Utah, deemed “America’s Toughest Stage Race,” is a week-long, professional race for the best cycling teams in the world, and SUU is excited to partner with the tour and bring international racers and spectators to campus.
Stage 1 starts at Zion Canyon Village and travels through Zion National Park through the high alpine regions of the Dixie National Forest. The race gains over 6,600 feet in elevation and is 84 total miles. The race will serpentine through Iron and Kane counties, passing through lava fields, forests and past Cedar Breaks National Monument. With a 20-mile descent down Cedar Canyon, racers will complete three laps around SUU for spectators to enjoy.
A fast sprint to the finish is expected to take place around 11:30 a.m. on August 1st with the finish-line located in front of the new Beverley Taylor Sorenson Center for the Arts at the corner of University Blvd and 300 West in Cedar City.
“This is an extraordinary opportunity to show that SUU is leading the state and the nation in bringing in world-class events and showing world-class facilities with our six-acre Beverley Center for the Arts,” said Ellen Treanor, executive director of brand strategy at SUU.
Additional events include the Tour of Utah team presentations on July 30. This free event takes place from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the Beverley Center for the Arts on the Ashton Family Greenshow Commons stage.
On race day, spectators can enjoy a community pancake breakfast for $5 from 8 to 10 a.m. on the patio of the Hunter Conference Center. There will also be a family-friendly lifestyle expo setup next to the finish line from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. that will feature give-a-ways, chalk art, games, entertainment and family art projects.
For information about the Tour of Utah, visit www.tourofutah.com
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor - August 28, 2017
- 27th Annual Enterprise Cornfest Brings in the Crowds - August 28, 2017
- Dixie State University’s Community, Continuing Education programs offering fall classes. - August 27, 2017
- Elon Musk Revealed the First SpaceX Spacesuit - August 27, 2017
- Amazon: Starting Monday, Whole Foods Market will offer lower prices - August 25, 2017
- Three-way Race for Mayor of Enterprise - August 14, 2017
- Enterprise Library Now Hiring - August 13, 2017
- Digital Mammography Unit Coming to Enterprise Clinic - August 13, 2017
- Dixie State University awards building of Human Performance Center to Layton Construction - August 12, 2017
- Enterprise High School Receives National Athletic Trainers’ Association Safe Sports School Award - August 12, 2017
- South Central Public Notice
- Enterprise High School FFA Hosts AG Day
- Enterprise Stories-Our Persian Gulf Veterans
- Enterprise Stories – School in Grandpa’s Day
- Enterprise Stories-Treasure in the Steamer Trunk
- Floyd Mayweather improved to 50-0 with a 10th-round TKO Over Conor McGregor